Deck the halls with bowls of granola, fa-la-la fa-fa-la, la-la-la! Okay, I’ve been getting a little bit crazy with the protein granola over here. But, my family is gobbling it up almost faster than I can make it. In October, I made Smashing Pumpkin Protein Granola and in November I whipped up Gingerbread Cranberry Protein Granola and for December my special mix is Choco-Cherry Protein Granola given extra crunch with almonds and coconut. Of course, we’ll be enjoying the healthy goodness of these three seasonal flavors all year long and I hope you will too!
Choco-Cherry Protein Granola is a delicious treat for the morning; serve with milk or sprinkle on top of Greek yogurt. Think beyond breakfast and enjoy this satiating protein-boost any time of the day or night. I’ve even scarfed this fit granola straight out of the container to conquer my chocolate cravings!
Here’s a great healthy foodie gift for the holidays – scoop granola into a mason jar or cellophane bag and tie up with a festive ribbon. Sure to be welcomed by friends and family; who wouldn’t literally be fulfilled by this tasteful gesture?!
Choco-Cherry Protein Granola Recipe
- 8 ounces black cherry juice (or pomegranate juice as substitute)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup chocolate or vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon liquid stevia concentrate
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cup raw almond slivers
- 5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (GF if needed)
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat.
- In large pot, over medium-low heat, add juice, coconut oil, cocoa powder, protein powder, salt and Stevia liquid. Whisk together until incorporated and smooth and mixture is beginning to bubble (but do not boil).
- Remove pot from heat and stir in coconut and almonds. Next add oats, stirring mixture until everything is evenly coated. Note: do NOT add dried cherries; they are mixed in later when granola is done baking.
- Spread granola onto prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Bake, stirring every 10 – 15 minutes, until granola is no longer sticky, approximate 35 – 40 minutes. Remove from oven and mix in dried cherries.
- Granola will stay fresh, stored in an airtight container, for up to 4 weeks.