I don’t eat rice very often, it can be pretty boring (IMO) and really doesn’t fit into my lower-carb protein plan. However, I’m not a NO carb kind of girl – no way, no how. Sometimes I need that precious energy source to propel me through an endurance event, boost my brainpower or just keep me from going bonkers.
Brown rice, which is a great source of fiber, is a smart and easy-to-make option when it comes to eating healthy, whole grain carbs. Research has shown that brown rice can reduce diabetes risk, help manage weight, lower cholesterol and reduce the likelihood of getting certain cancers (read more about all this at The Whole Grains Council.)
So, to avoid the blah-fest that is plain rice, I decided to up to the flavors with a health take on fried rice – you’re going to go crazy for my Coconut Macadamia Nut Fried Rice! Made with lots of coconut items including coconut water, coconut oil and unsweetened coconut – there is a that wonderful hint of tropical paradise with every bite. The macadamia nuts back up the beach eats vibe – and the whole thing is just loaded with healthy fats and extra protein from the eggs to help you fill filled up for longer. (get recipe at bottom of post — but below are some great NOW Foods products I used and love)
Also, I have to tell you about the best thing to show up at my door this week (aside from my Fed Ex man who loves to yap about Spartan Race just as much as me):
A box of gifts for me and it’s not even my birthday (yet) or Christmas! POPSUGAR sent me this Must Have box to try and it totally made my day, my week, my June! This monthly subscription box is aptly named “must-have” – all the most fabulous, fun things a fit and fashionable girl could want are specially curated and packed into one awesomely exciting box to open. You never know what each month’s #MustHaveBox will behold – but the surprises never fail to win me over on pure whimsy and major whoohoo!
The June Pop Sugar Must Have Box included:
- Neutral Diamonds printed Sarong by HAT ATTACK – I’m packing this easy, breezy cover-up in my weekend bag for my next trip to the beach. It’s perfect for a swim suit cover up, but gorgeous enough to wear as a wrap at the dinner hour.
- “Cheers” Gold Bottle Opener by SISTERS OF LOS ANGELES – A chic and unique upscale beer drinker would never think to use a tacky, cheap promo bottle opener. This sleek , golden opener takes the top off iced cold beverage in chic summer style.
- Ridley’s Games Room “Who Am I Quiz?” by WILD AND WOLF – Oh, you know game night at my family reunion is going to get rocking with this celebrity-inspired guessing game! How fun!
- Born on the 4th Nail Laquer by NCLA – So, I know what my toes are wearing on Independence Day! This glittery, glam polish!
- Are You Ready Compact Mirror by KNOCK KNOCK – This cheeky compact will help me be ready for that next selfie situation.
- Underarm Deoderat Wipes by PACIFICA – Lightly perfumed and oh-so convenient, this is my favorite item in the box . .. errr, uhhh, cause I stink after working out and running errands all day.
- Sriracha Snacks by PRESSELS – Less fat and salt than many other snack foods and that spicy kick of Sriracha to boot – a winner!
So, what is your new favorite workout, fashion or food find for this summer? What is your favorite nut? Please share in the comments below – XOXO, Jennifer