I have the perfect dish for you to whip up for your sweetie for Valentine’s Day – my recipe for Slow-Cooker Orange and Sugar Snap Pea Beef! It’s a little sweet, a little spicy and very healthy for your honey. Ladies, they say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach and, by the way my husband gobbled this healthy dinner, I’d say this Asian-inspired dinner was a winner. And, men, if you’re looking for a way to impress that someone special, I just want you to know that women think it’s super sexy when guys self-initiate cooking and cleaning up in the kitchen – this crockpot recipe is insanely easy to make and has virtually no clean-up.
February isn’t just about “hearts” in a romantic way; speaking cardiovascularly, it’s also National Heart Month! I like to use the month of February to “check-in” with my health and show love to my heart with healthy changes in diet and exercise – and renew any of my New Year’s resolutions that have started to slip away! Little changes in the foods you consume, like increasing the amount of fruits and vegetables on your plate and reducing salty, sugary snacks, can add up to big benefits in terms of your overall health. Eating lean protein is important, too! A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, researchers from Penn State University found that people who participated in the Beef in an Optimal Lean Diet (BOLD) study, consuming about 3 to 5 ounces of lean beef daily as part of a heart-healthy diet, experienced a 10 percent decline in LDL “bad” cholesterol.
My recipe for Slow-Cooker Orange and Sugar Snap Pea Beef is the perfect way to put your lean protein plan into motion – plus you get some fruits and veggies to boot! Who knows, you may even reduce your bad cholesterol if you follow the protocols of the BOLD study – I’m happy to share lots of healthy beef recipes with you including Sirloin Cobb Kebabs and Spice Crusted Tenderloin Steaks. Just search the word “beef” in my recipe collection to find more!
Slow-Cooker Orange and Sugar Snap Pea Beef Recipe
- 2 lb. beef chuck shoulder steak – trimmed and sliced into 2” strips
- 1/2 cup Litehouse Food’s Tangy Orange Dressing & Marinade *
- 2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha Chile Pepper Sauce (found on Asian food aisle)
- 1 Tbsp. Litehouse Food’s Instantly Fresh Ginger
- 1 Tbsp, Litehouse Food’s Instantly Fresh Garlic
- 1 large onion cut very coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 6-oz can mandarin oranges that have been drained (or may use fresh)
- 1 (8-oz) package sugar snap peas
- Add beef, dressing, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, Sriracha and onion to 3-qt or larger slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours until beef is tender.
- Turn to high. Remove ½ cup of liquid and stir in cornstarch until dissolved. Stir this mixture back into slow cooker. Add sugar snap peas and oranges; cover and cook on high 10 minutes until peas are crisp-tender.
- Serve over brown rice with sauce from slow cooker.
*If you can’t find the dressing in your market, you can order it online at LitehouseFoods.com or substitute ½ cup fresh orange juice