With temperatures topping out over 90 degrees yesterday and bluebonnets popping up everywhere, it’s safe to say spring has definitely sprung in Austin. And, just in time for SXSW , paddle boarding on Lady Bird Lake and running the trails over Spring Break. This time last year I was making my Watermelon Brisket Tacos in the SXSW Taco Takedown, that was definitely a #KeepAustinWeird day. This year I am nursing some battle wounds from Spartan Houston and the Crossfit Games 16.4 Open WOD. However, nothing serious enough from keeping me out of the kitchen.
Today, I’m sharing a protein snack that is fitting for the warm-weather season – Raspberry Lemonade Protein Bites. The sweet-tart zing of this no-bake recipe will remind you of sipping on a refreshing glass of raspberry lemonade on the porch.
Make these ahead of time and keep in the fridge or freezer so you always have a healthy snack at hand – and, if you love the flavor combo of raspberries and lemons and have a five minutes to make breakfast, you’ll love my Raspberry Lemonade Protein Mug Muffin recipe.
Here are some important words of wisdom I have for you- haha:
By the way, I’ve added maca powder to this protein bite recipe for an extra nutrition boost. Maca, a root vegetable indigenous to Peru, has been beloved for thousands of years for its ability to improve stamina, endurance and hormonal balance. Maca root and maca powder includes vital nutrients including healthy fatty acids, dietary fiber, proteins, carbohydrates and minerals. If you want to omit, just replace with an equal amount of gluten-free baking mix.
It’s hard to believe that the vibrant fushia red color dusted on these protein bits is all natural and not some weird artificial dye mixed into sugar. Instead, the clever ingredient is simply raspberry powder I made by pulverizing freeze-dried raspberries in a zip-top bag with a rolling pin! This raspberry dust would also be fun and festive mixed into yogurt, sprinkled on your Easter desserts or even rimmed on a cocktail or healthy beverage.
Raspberry Lemonade Protein Bites Recipe
- 2/3 cup vanilla protein powder (2 scoops)
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons maca powder
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons zest from Meyer lemon
- 1/3 cup freeze-dried raspberries
- Add protein powder, almond meal, maca powder and salt to bowl and stir until combined. Mix in coconut oil, lemon juice and mix until everything incorporated. Mixture should be a bit crumbly but holds together when squeezed. If too dry, add a few more drops of lemon juice. If too wet, add a dry ingredient like a gluten-free baking blend, more almond meal or more protein powder a half-tablespoon at a time.
- Using about 1 tablespoon of dough, form into 12 balls rolling between the palms of your hands.
- Place freeze-dried raspberries in small zip-top bag and use rolling pin or side of coffee mug to pulverize. Add a lemon ball, one at a time, into the sealed bag and shake to coat with raspberry dust.
- May be kept covered in air-tight container in refrigerator for a week or freezer for several months. Makes 12.
What are you doing over Spring Break? What events are you training for? Are you a lemon lover? I’d love to know, please share in the comments below – XOXO, Jennifer