Have an urge to snack, but looking for something with less salt yet still loads of flavor? In honor of Eat Less Salt and More Herbs Day (and yes, that’s a real food holiday), I have rounded up some healthy snack recipes that use herbs like rosemary, basil and lemongrass to magnify flavors and minimize salt. While too much sodium in your diet can contribute to high blood pressure and other medical concerns, it’s not completely evil – for example, athletes need to constantly replenish salt and other minerals lost through sweat. So, even if you’re not giving salt the complete shake off, making your own snacks at home gives you complete control over the amount of sodium consumed. And, I don’t know about you, but I like to be in control!
I’m also giving away Litehouse Food’s Instantly Fresh Herbs – the whole kit and caboodle, every herb in the product line! You know how a handy man totes around his tool box and a chef won’t travel anywhere without his professional knife set? Well, I won’t step foot into my kitchen to make a meal without these freeze-dried herbs on call in the pantry — I’ve become totally spoiled! Sure, fresh herbs are fabulous when you have the time and talent to grow them or have an enormous food budget – I’m a bust here on all counts. To me, traditional dried and ground herbs have always seemed (and tasted) boring, but these Instantly Fresh Herbs kick up the fun and flavor. Able to stay for months on end in the pantry, these freeze dried herbs rehydrate beautifully when coming into contact with moisture in a recipe. And, with 17 different products in the line, you can combine multiple herbs to get great flavor – the possibilities are almost unlimited. For example (and I calculated the combinations), there are 680 different ways to combine just 3 of the herbs in the Instantly Fresh product line! For reals!
- Italian Herb Parmesan Popcorn An easy toss of herbs and cheese turn plain popcorn into the main attraction of your next movie night. Stop dousing your popcorn with salt and start herbing it up!
- Fruit Herb Pops: With three yummy flavors, you’ll want to eat these frozen treats all at once! Hmmm, but which to try first — Pineapple Coconut Ginger Pops, Mango-Strawberry-Lemongrass Pops or Black Cherry Blackberry Pops?
- Herb Goat Cheese Logs – These cheese logs owe their festive good looks and fine flavor to a combination of Instantly Fresh herbs – follow the appetizer recipe or create your own herb combos to serve with crackers, bread or veggies.
- Oven Baked Dill & Sea Salt Potato Chips — So much crunch and crazy flavor, without any of the salty, fatty “feel-bads” of regular potato chips.
- Trio of Herbed Teas – Complement your sensible snack with a refreshing ice tea steeped with spices and splashed with fruit and its natural juices. Pick from Jalapeno Pineapple Infused White Tea, Creamy Lemongrass Black Tea or Basil Peach Green Tea.
- Cilantro Lime Feta Compound Butter – Butter elevated with herbs and other flavorings will turn ordinary snacks into the extra-ordinary. Spread a thin layer on French bread slices and toast for a simple homemade crostini.
- Herbed Rooted Veggie Fries – Greasy drive-thru fries don’t have nothin’ on these delicious baked fries made from nutritious root vegetables. Use sweet potatoes, parsnips, beets . . . or even traditional potatoes to make this herb-dusted, to-die-for finger food.
- Basil Fruit Kebabs – I call fruit “nature’s candy” – when threaded on a skewer and sprinkled with fresh basil snips, it’s a sweet treat on a stick that no one can resist (nor should they)!
So are you ready to win herbs?!
One reader will win every herb in the line of Litehouse Food’s Instantly Fresh Herbs – 17 different varieties in all!
To enter the giveaway, please follow the instructions in Rafflecopter below: